Friday 18 November 2011

I like to watch....

Earlier in the week, I had the pleasure of staying in Vineland, ON with my friends John and Connie. They like to cook and, well, I like to watch. This does go along with the fact that I have always loved reading cookbooks and I can spend a fair amount of time in the company of the Food Network. But this was somehow different.

It was the first time that I truly understood the beauty of a centre island for food prep. Sure, lots of people have them. Sure, they are fabulous for parties so friends can gather around. But, picture being seated comfortably, a fabulous glass of red wine in hand, lovely music playing...and you are quietly watching two people who love to cook.

I was fascinated by the care taken by John slicing the cremini mushrooms just so for the mushroom gravy. I confess, I am a bit of a hacker, the faster the better. Connie prepared the pork tenderloin for pounding into cutlets utilizing dexterity with saran wrap few of us could achieve. The oven roasted potatoes were to die for and let us not forget the home made apple pie! I am told the secret to the pastry is adding vodka...if that excites you, let me know, I will ask specifics.

Now if only I could get to a point where I really like to cook. I get it, I understand. Like I said, I love to watch. Maybe I need the "I love to cook fabulously" fairy to wave her magic wand? I'll let you know if it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment