Thursday 7 June 2012

popcorn land

My journey down the road of looking for a part-time job began in earnest in January.  The learning curve was drastic and I skidded and collided with the on-line world of uploading and e-lerts and just trying to present myself on paper.  Hadn't applied for a job since 1978!!!  For four months I applied on-line and in person at the few places left that will actually let you do that.

I have always wanted to work in a movie theatre and kept applying as jobs were posted at various locations.  Cineplex Coliseum Mississagua was farther afield than I was thinking but, after 4 months of nothing, a 20 minute drive did not seem like much of a deterrent.

Long story short, first interview in April was 2 1/2 hours in length!!!  Role playing, skits, problem-solving, filling out forms, a 1 on 1 interview, yes, for selling popcorn.  Three weeks later, a 10 minute phone interview and a job offer.  YAHOO!!!  Training began May 5 & 6 with fourteen hours of information on theft, fraud, harassment, health and safety etc etc.  A further 18 hours of training continued after that.  Much standing and listening was required during these sessions, I believe in an attempt to see who would start complaining about their legs and feet and lower back first!!  I am proud to say the 20-somethings broke before I did!!!

My first official shifts were over the May 24 weekend....from frying pan into the fire!!!  Over thirty hours in 5 days.  My brain shut down one shift for about an hour, wasn't really sure people were speaking English to me. Wow, be nice to anyone on Concession with an in-training badge on....what you have to initially process to work concession is unbelievable!!!   The day of my third shift I was feeling pretty cocky about myself and then got slammed!!  In a very short period of time, I experienced my first super rude adult and then a super rude adolescent and a whole bunch of coupons I had not worked with came along and I was rattled big time.

Three weeks in now and I am getting my head wrapped around shifts, booking time off and co-ordinating work with my dance classes etc.  The management and staff are a pleasure to work with and I enjoy the weekly movie pass (for 2).  Sweet!!

Gotta run, extra rehearsals right now for my dance recital coming up.  Hilarious,  I feel like I'm 12 when I say dance recital!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment